Time again to start thinking about basking in the warm sun and making things with your hands. July 14–27, 2019…come to Aurora, NY!
Each July, Wells Book Arts Center hosts the Wells Book Arts Summer Institute. This year, our 14th!, follows our biggest year ever with 6 courses to choose from for each of the 2 weeks. Join our all-star line-up of instructors and learn new techniques or hone existing skills in a variety or paper and printing arts.
Each week is filled with intensive, hands-on instruction and practice, but there is also time to relax and enjoy the spectacular sunsets over Cayuga Lake or swim or take things at your own pace. Of course there are people who want to work on their projects late into the evening, and we encourage that too! Class sizes are limited, so sign up early to secure your spot in one of these great courses.
Week 1 — July 14–20
• Sarah Bryant – The Long Stitch: Form, Function, Experimentation
• Stephanie Carpenter – Letterpress Basics and More
• Kyle Holland – Creative Papermaking Processes: Positive & Negative Stenciling
• Rob LoMascolo – Polymer Printing on the Heidelberg
• Scott Moore – New Wood Type Production using historic methods & modern machines
• Joanne Price – Wood Engraving: Historic Letterpress Illustration
Week 2 — July 21–27
• Michael & Winnie Bixler – Monotype Type Casting
• Nancy Callahan – Book that Expand and Contract
• Patrick Griffin – Digital Font Making: A Crash Course for the Ravers
• Radha Pandey – Japanese Paper-making and Natural Dyeing
• Steve Pittelkow – Paper Marbling and Cartonnage: Beyond Square and Rectangle
• Brad Vetter – Lasers & Letterpress